Our Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics (CCBHCs) in Northampton and Greenfield offer enhanced outpatient support for clients age 18 and older who are in any stage of recovery—and working toward recovery—from serious or persistent mental illness and/or substance use.
CCBHC services surround people with the support and encouragement they need to achieve and maintain their mental health and recovery goals.
- Case Managers help clients obtain the additional resources they need to stabilize their income, secure needed health care, safe housing, and/or supplemental food, identify social opportunities, and strengthen family relationships.
- Nurses work with clients to help them manage their medical symptoms and develop collaborative relationships with their providers. And they offer support and education in nutrition, diabetes management, and other health topics.
- Recovery Coaches engage and support individuals in many paths of recovery, including harm reduction.
- The Tobacco Educator provides individual and group support for clients who wish to stop using tobacco.
- Peer Mentors support clients in moving toward mental health recovery, drawing from and sharing their personal experience with the mental health system.
Someone may be referred to CCBHC if they:
- have recently experienced a substance use relapse or required a higher level of care, or if they have new clinical needs;
- have significant medical concerns, housing insecurity, or other life challenges that are difficult to fully address in therapy; or
- have a combination of medical and mental health symptoms that are exacerbating each other.
Once a client is referred to CCBHC, they will complete an initial evaluation and will then begin meeting with a case manager and nurse. A recovery coach and/or tobacco treatment specialist may be added to the team as needed. Meanwhile, referring providers will continue to see the clients they have referred to CCBHC, and CCBHC team members will communicate with them directly about their client’s needs and progress.
CCBHC services are paid for through a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and clients may be referred regardless of insurance.
During the spring/summer of 2021, our CCBHCs will be adding the following services:
- Wellness coaching: helping clients identify their own healthier lifestyle goals.
- Medication-assisted treatment: helping clients who are in substance use recovery maintain their sobriety through the use of medication.
For More Information
To learn more about Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics, see the National Council for Behavioral Health’s website: https://www.thenationalcouncil.org/ccbhc-success-center/